Last Updated on by
☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐ ☐
The Toonami Trending Rundown for March 16-17, 2019. The night marked the 22nd anniversary of the better cartoon show and while Toonami didn’t have anything planned this year, this anniversary night is one we won’t be forgetting anytime soon to say the least.
Around 6 minutes into this week’s scheduled Sword Art Online, when Kikuoka was showing Rinko and Asuna the new AIs he was making in the Underworld, the computers at Cartoon Network’s broadcast control decided to glitch out, as the episode froze for a few seconds before going into a commercial break and skipping ahead to airing the first half of this week’s scheduled episode of Megalo Box several minutes earlier than it was scheduled. The rest of the block would fortunately air as scheduled, although Megalo Box repeated its first half during its regular scheduled time, and some may have noticed that the commercials were a bit wonky to say the least.
The glitch aside, the night was also filled with other notable moments, including Sarada finding out that Sakura may not actually be her mom, while Joe and Yuri prepare for their championship rematch, Mars tries to stop Fana from destroying everything in sight, and Meruem finds out that the fall of the ants is near.
On Twitter, #Toonami would trend in the US alongside Dragon Ball Super, JoJo’s, Black Clover, and Hunter x Hunter. In addition, Boruto, SAO, Megalo Box, and Shippuden also trended alongside these shows, but not outright. Meanwhile on tumblr, #Toonami would trend alongside #BNHA. The full list including statistics and tweet counts from the twitter app and Amr Rahmy’s Fan Screening analytics app can be seen below.
This week’s feature was a “Criminal Threats” / “Building You a Better Cartoon Show” themed promo. You can check it out below.
- Viz Media has announced that they will be releasing a Blu-ray and DVD combo pack for the Hunter x Hunter feature film: The Last Mission, which was released on March 12th and available to pick up on various major anime selling retailers with a $29.99 MSRP.
- With the successful run of Mob Psycho 100 and the announcement of Blade Runner: Black Lotus, Toonami’s new partnership with Crunchyroll is off to a pretty good start, and last Tuesday, Toonami had announced that they will be expanding their partnership with Crunchyroll to allow the possibility of more Crunchyroll licensed acquisitions to appear on the block, as well as more original productions to be shared by both anime outlets. Essentially, this will allow Crunchyroll to have a TV arm and to expand their English Dub output, while it opens the doors for more Toonami programming. What kind of shows could we potentially be seeing? Mob season 2 is a matter of not if, but when at this point, and we’ve heard plenty of demand for the likes of 91 Days, Bungo Stray Dogs, Darling in the Franxx (although the critically panned 2nd half from even Jason himself could make this a stretch), Konosuba, Re:Zero, The Rising of the Shield Hero, and even some Rooster Teeth works like Rwby and Gen:Lock, so we’ll just see what happens. All I can say for now is that if you do have something in mind, send your and to send your show recommendations to Toonami Facebook page, Jason DeMarco’s ask.fm message box, or by directly tweeting to @Clarknova1 and/or @stupidgill; as well as letting Crunchyroll know in their respective social media outlets.
- Finally, Viz Media released a new trailer for the upcoming second season of One Punch Man, set to premiere in Japanese shores and on Hulu on April 9. You can check it out by clicking here.
Fortunately, Cartoon Network has fixed the issue and to make up for this mistake, Toonami will replay episode 6 next week at its regular scheduled time, and a week after on March 30, we will have a doubleheader of SAO with episodes 7-8 airing from 12:30 to 1:30 am. And of course, make sure to also tune in next week for the finale of Megalo Box as we see Joe’s highly anticipated rematch against Yuri, among other great moments. I’m sure you don’t want to miss it. Until next week, stay gold.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the Twitter tweet counts, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- #Toonami [#3]
- #DragonBallSuper [#11]
- #Boruto [Trended with #Toonami]
- #SwordArtOnline [Trended with #Toonami]
- #SwordArtOnlineAlicization [Trended with #Toonami]
- #MegaloBox [Trended with #Toonami]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#10]
- #BlackClover [#10]
- #HunterXHunter [#9]
- #Shippuden [Trended with #Toonami]
- #Toonami [8,412 tweets]
- #DragonBallSuper [4,223 tweets]
- #Boruto [3,371 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [2,650 tweets]
- #MegaloBox [2,193 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [3,756 tweets]
- #BlackClover [1,281 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [1,833 tweets]
Fan Screening Counts:
- #DragonBallSuper [#3 with tweets]
- #Boruto [#7 with 3412 tweets]
- #MyHeroAcademia [#3 with 3453 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [#10 with 2192 tweets]
- #MegaloBox [#8 with 1967 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#5 with 2808 tweets]
- #BlackClover [#23 with 898 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [#18 with 1546 tweets]
Notes and Other Statistics:
- #Toonami: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @blumspew and @ToeiAnimation started the trend in the US.
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @DC_Douglas started the trend in the US.
- #BlackClover: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @FUNimation started the trend in the US.
We won’t be intimidated by criminal threats. Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.
Special thanks to @animesavior for allowing us to publish the Toonami Trending Rundown here.