“We face everything together. Caulifa, you don’t think I’m interfering, do you? *Cries* Now you make it seem like I’m not good enough for her again, like I’ll always let her down! This is your fault. Yours Goku! You’re taking my one and only away from me and you’re going to regret that, Goku. I’ll make you pay!”
– Kale, Dragon Ball Super (Ep. 100)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for March 2-3, 2019. We commemorate 100 episodes of Dragon Ball Super on Toonami as Caulifa and Kale challenge Goku to a fight, while Kirito and Eugeo play the role of Goblin Slayers to save Selka and subsequently finding a faster way to chop down the Gigas tree, Megalonia begins as Yuri fights Pepe in the first match, and My Hero Academia begins its 3rd Season, among other moments.
On Twitter, #Toonami would trend in the US alongside #MegaloBox and #JoJo’sBizarreAdventure, while on Tumblr, #Toonami would trend along with #BNHA and #Hunter x Hunter. The full list including statistics and tweet counts from the twitter app and Amr Rahmy’s Fanscreening analytics app can be seen below.
This week’s feature is a new music video from the band Oozing Wood titled “Tween s**tbag”. You can check it out by clicking here.
Other notable news relevant to Toonami viewers include:
- To commemorate 30 years of Dragon Ball Z, Funimation and Toei will be releasing a Collector’s Edition Blu-ray, which will include all the episodes as well as a full art book, an exclusive figure, and other content to be announced. The release date and pricing is still to be determined.
- Good news for Kill la Kill fans this week as PQube Games, the European distributor for the upcoming game: IF, has said that an English dub and a sub is being planned for the final release. Dubs of anime based video games are quite rare due to cost considerations among other technical issues, so having Alex von David, Erica Mendez, and the entire crew being tapped to be a part of it is pretty good news.
- Cartoon Network as a whole will be a part of a corporate reorganization as part of the AT&T-WarnerMedia merger, as Turner Broadcasting will be split up into 3 separate divisions in the Warner corporate family. Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang, and Turner Classic Movies will join Warner Bros. under a new unit for “Global Kids & Young Adults.”, while HBO, TNT, TBS, TruTV and a future streaming service will form “WarnerMedia Entertainment”, and CNN, CNN Digital and HLN, will be joined with Turner Sports, Bleacher Report and the AT&T Regional Sports Networks to form “WarnerMedia News & Sports”.
- And for all the Canadian viewers out there, the Canadian version of Adult Swim is being expanded from a nightly block to a full-fledged channel. While it is assured that Adult Swim originals will air on this new channel, whether they do plan on showing other productions including Toonami programming is to be determined.
- Finally in One Punch Man breaking news, Viz Media will be simulcasting the upcoming second season on Hulu beginning on April 9th. There will also be a special programming that will air on April 2nd in Japan, but details and availability regarding licensing are currently unavailable. No word yet on the dub’s production and a return to Toonami as of now.
Daylight Savings Time will begin next Saturday, but much like previous years, Toonami will largely be unaffected as Black Clover, Hunter x Hunter, Shippuden, and Attack on Titan will each technically move down 1 hour from their regular timeslots due to the transition. So if you normally watch the whole block from end to end, you’re viewing should be unaffected, just you’ll get an hour less sleep. If you can’t stay up past 3 however, make sure to set your DVRs.
Not much else to say other than see you again next week for another round of the better cartoon show. Later.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the Twitter tweet counts, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- #Toonami [#10]
- #MegaloBox [#11]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#10]
- #Toonami [5,549 tweets]
- #DragonBallSuper [5,009 tweets]
- #Boruto [2,846 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [2,163 tweets]
- #MegaloBox [1,306 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [3,191 tweets]
Fan Screening Counts:
- #DragonBallSuper [#7 with 3345 tweets]
- #Boruto [#19 with 1,445 tweets]
- #MyHeroAcademia [#8 with 2316 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [#12 with 1473 tweets]
- #MegaloBox [#18 with 865 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#15 with 1025 tweets]
- #BlackClover [#21 with 991 tweets]
- #Hunter x Hunter
Notes and Other Statistics:
- #DragonBallSuper: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @DawnMBennettVA and @ToeiAnimation started the trend in the US.
- #SwordArtOnline: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @BandaiNamcoEU started the trend in the US.
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @DC_Douglas started the trend in the US.
Special thanks to @coreymbarnes, @sdurso5, and others I forgot to mention for spotting some of the trends on this list.
Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.
Special thanks to @animesavior for allowing us to publish the Toonami Trending Rundown here.