“It didn’t matter what dangers he faced, Kirito has never backed down. I’ll find him if it’s the last thing I do.”
– Asuna Yuuki, Sword Art Online Alicization (Ep. 05)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for March 9-10, 2019. It was a night of girl power just a day after International Women’s Day, as Kirito starts his recovery from the attack by Johnny Black, but gets taken back to Rath without his family’s consent and Asuna has to go find him, while Sarada tries to learn the truth of Sakura’s relationship with Sasuke, and Joe fights Glen Burroughs in the second Megalonia semi-final, among other great moments.
On Twitter, #Toonami would trend in the US alongside Megalo Box, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure and Hunter x Hunter. In addition, both Sword Art Online and Naruto Shippuden would also trend alongside these shows but not outright. Meanwhile on Tumblr, #Toonami would trend alongside #BNHA and JoJo’s. The full list including statistics and tweet counts from the twitter app and Amr Rahmy’s Fan Screening analytics app can be seen below.
- This week’s feature was a music video (if you can call it that) for the atmospheric instrumental Lie Down in the Light by This Will Destroy You. You can check it out by clicking here.
- After an over 3 year hiatus, One Punch Man will be returning for its second season, with a special program on April 2 and the premiere proper on April 9 in Japanese airwaves. Viz Media has partnered up with Hulu once again to release the simulcast. No word yet regarding the dub and a prospective return to Toonami as of this time, but we’ll keep you posted.
- Meanwhile on Attack on Titan news, Wit Studios released a new key visual for the upcoming second part of Attack on Titan Season 3, which you can see below. The series is set to continue in Japan and on streaming on April 28, with the dub and return to Toonami still to be announced.
Tune in next week as Megalo Box showcases its penultimate episode as Joe has his rematch against Yuri, while Hunter x Hunter comes down the stretch with the final 3 episodes of Chimera Ant, among other great moments. Not much else to say other than see you again next week for another round of the better cartoon show. Later.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the Twitter tweet counts, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- Toonami/#Toonami [#8]
- #SwordArtOnline [Trended with #Toonami and #MegaloBox]
- #SwordArtOnlineAlicization [Trended with #Toonami and #MegaloBox]
- #MegaloBox [#8]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#8]
- #HunterXHunter [#8]
- #Shippuden [Trended with #Toonami #JoJosBizarreHunter and #HunterXHunter]
- #Toonami [4,961 tweets]
- #DragonBallSuper [4,357 tweets]
- #Boruto [4,683 tweets]
- #MyHeroAcademia [5,312 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [2,016 tweets]
- #MegaloBox [1,784 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [2,880 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [1,686 tweets]
Fan Screening Counts:
- #DragonBallSuper [#6 with 2694 tweets]
- #Boruto [#8 with 2366 tweets]
- #MyHeroAcademia [#6 with 3212 tweets]
- #SwordArtOnline [#15 with tweets]
- #MegaloBox [#12 with 1489 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#11 with 1832 tweets]
- #BlackClover [#29 with 737 tweets]
- #HunterXHunter [#20 with 1119 tweets]
- #JoJos Bizarre Adventure
Notes and Other Statistics:
- #Toonami: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @blumspew started the trend in the US.
- #MegaloBox: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @LexLang started the trend in the US.
- #HunterXHunter: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @VIZMedia started the trend in the US.
Special thanks to @myanimewaifu and others I forgot to mention for spotting some of the trends on this list.
Where’s Kirito? Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.
Special thanks to @animesavior for allowing us to publish the Toonami Trending Rundown here.