Iruka: “Naruto, do you have the will of fire within you? It’s the strong will to do whatever it takes to protect the Leaf Village, no matter what. If you have it, then you can become as strong as the Lord Hokage. But he’s got more than just strength. Lord Hokage has the respect of everyone in the village because he’s a great leader. The 4th Hokage was a hero who protected the village from the Nine Tailed Fox.”
Naruto: “A Hero? That’s it, then. I’m going to be an even stronger Hokage than the 4th Hokage. And then, everyone in the village will have to acknowledge how great i am.”
Iruka: “We’ll my guess is by the time you get this tall, you might be able to become Hokage.”
Naruto: “Ok, then I’ll just work as hard as I can until that day comes.”
– Naruto Shippuden (Ep. 178)
The Toonami Trending Rundown for October 21-22, 2017. The final Toonami of the “Vindication era” is in the books as Champa’s team brings out their last hope and trump card in Hit, while the Tekkadan attempt to stop the Dawn Horizon Corps, and Gene and the crew go bounty hunting to get themselves some needed cash, among other moments.
On Twitter, Toonami as well as every show would successfully trend in the US during their respective East Coast airings. A trend for Countdown was also spotted during Hunter x Hunter as Toonami showcased a promo for the upcoming Total Immersion Event. Meanwhile, on Tumblr, Toonami along with #DragonBallSuper would trend as well.
Finally for the 24th time in the show’s history and for the 38th known time for a Toonami show, Dragon Ball Super’s buzz once again makes it on the list of Nielsen Social’s top 5 most talked about shows on the day on Twitter and Facebook, this time making it to the 4th spot.
The following week was Halloween Weekend, so as many prepared their costumes for Trick or Treating and/or were attending Halloween parties, Toonami commemorated the recent release of the Samurai Jack Blu-Rays and DVDs by having another marathon of all 10 episodes of Season 5. Since it was a marathon night and due to the buzz of the World Series, among other things, most fans took the night off from live-tweeting, and thus no trends were spotted on the night.
This week’s feature was an Anime Music Video titled “Outlands”. You can check it out below.
Of course, next week Toonami begins the next chapter of TOM and SARA’s story as we begin part 1 of the Total Immersion Event, Countdown. And for those that missed it, check out the promo seen during the marathon night.
Other Toonami-related news of note during these past two weeks include:
- As you may have noticed from a commercial seen during the back half of the block, after a several year wait, Funimation has now released the complete Blu-Ray and DVD sets for both seasons of Space Dandy on October 24th. For those interested in adding this to their collections, it’s available for purchase at Funimation’s online store among other major anime retailers.
- Viz Media has been releasing a Blu-Ray catalog for the Bleach series, with sets 1 and 2 containing the first 55 episodes combined already available. Set 3, containing episodes 56-83 is now available for purchase at several major retailers.
- Big news for Attack on Titan as during a special event on Sunday, it was revealed that season 3 of the series will be set to premiere in Japan on July 2018. A visual poster for the new season was also released, which you can see below. In addition, a compilation film, titled Kakusei no Hōkō, or The Roar of Awakening, is also planned for release on January 13, 2018, which will recap the events of season 2.
- And in Tokyo Ghoul:re news, it was announced that while Studio Perriot will once again be in charge in producing the new sequel, a new director will take the helm with Odahiro Watanabe replacing Shuhei Morita. In addition, Atsuko Nakajima will be taking over for Kazuhiro Miwa as the show’s character designer. The new addition to the series is set to premiere in Japan sometime next year.
Not much else to say other than we hope you had a good Halloween and until next week, congratulations to the Houston Astros for winning the World Series, and stay gold as always.
Legend: The shows listed are ordered based on their appearance on the schedule. Show trends are listed in bold. The number next to the listed trend represents the highest it trended on the list (not counting the promoted trend), judging only by the images placed in the rundown. For the Twitter tweet counts, the listed number of tweets are also sorely based on the highest number shown based on the images on the rundown.
United States Trends:
- Toonami/#Toonami [#7]
- #Countdown (During Hunter x Hunter) [#8]
- #DragonBallSuper [#7]
- #DBZKai [#7]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [#6]
- #GundamIBO [#7]
- #HunterXHunter [#6]
- #LupinThe3rd [#6]
- #Shippuden [#8]
- #OutlawStar [#7]
- #CowboyBebop [#8]
- #GhostInTheShell [#6]
- #Toonami [3,156 tweets]
- #DBZKai [1,350 tweets]
- #JoJosBizarreAdventure [3,556 tweets]
- #GundamIBO [1,487 tweets]
- #LupinThe3rd [1,456 tweets]
- #dragon ball super
Notes and Other Statistics:
- #GundamIBO: @WhoTrendedIT reported that @KyleMcCarley started the trend in the US.
Naruto, I believe that you really might become Hokage one day. Only Toonami on [adult swim] on Cartoon Network.
Special thanks to @animesavior for giving us permission to post the Toonami Trending Rundown here.